Monday 31 August 2009

The IPhone as a Musical Instrument

If you knew me (maybe you do) you would also know how much I love my Ipod Touch. I just think it is a wonderful piece of machinery. I use it for loads of stuff and lately also as a musical instrument. In fact I've always been interested in music and lately I discovered that my passion for music can go hand in hand with my passion for the Ipod touch (or IPhone). Not bad!

There are several instruments you can try. Just go in the AppStore and look, for example, for the following apps: Bebot, or JR Hexatone, or Ellatron. They are all freakin' good musical instruments! Of course you hardly reach the expressivity of a "normal" musical instrument, but hey, this is a new world opening. People into electronic music are surely going to have fun.

Take for example the Hexatone. This app was created in collaboration with one of the world greatest keyboardists: Mr. Jordan Rudess. Already a quality guarantee! It is basically a drum machine. You can assign loads of samples to six different assignable pads and then you create you own beats. Once the beat is running you can also "play" it live by twisting and moving your device. Otherwise you can also play another instrument, like a keyboard or a guitar, and simply use your IPhone for the rythmic background. Be aware: at first it is not going to be easy at all. Then, once you start having some familiarity with the app things get better.

If you are interested checkout this video:

0 comments :